What is “My Health Record” you may ask?
“My Health Record” is a secure online summary of your health information. You control what goes into it, and who is allowed to access it.
Your eHealth record allows you and your doctors, hospitals and other healthcare providers to view and share your health information to provide you with the best possible care.
How is this different to the current system?
Until now, health records have usually been stored in different locations with little connection to each other or healthcare professionals and hospitals. Your eHealth record will allow you to access a summary of your important health information online, and share that information with the healthcare professionals involved with your care, meaning you no longer have to remember the detail of every medication, immunisation or treatment you have received.
Your health information travels with you
Your eHealth record will grow over time to contain a summary of your most important health care events. This could include details of a stay in hospital, a visit to the GP or when you have had medical tests.
People who regularly use the Australian health system will be able to manage their care more effectively, even if they travel, need treatment after hours, or see more than one doctor.
Will my health information be secure?
The eHealth record system is protected by existing and new legislation. You will have a login and password to access your eHealth record, and control over which organisations can view your information.
Benefits for you incude:
- Best treatment – As the system grows, healthcare organisations such as GP practice or local hospital will be able to quickly view a summary of your information, helping them to make the best possible decisions about your care.
- More convenient – You will not have to remember every medication, test or health-relatd incident, or when a child was immunised.
- Less stressful – Allows rapid access to information in an emergency.
- Better health – You will be able to better manage your health.
- Sharing the load – If you wish, you can share your health information with family members, carers, or other trusted people.
For more information
Online – visit www.ehealth.gov.au
Phone – call 1800 723 471 and select option 1
In Person – visit a Department of Human Services service centre offering Medicare services
In Writing – Personally Controlled eHealth Record Program, GPO Box 9942 Perth